Friday, May 29, 2009

"Escape To The Movies"

This is pretty cool.

"The Escapist" has offered me my own imprint for awhile, under the banner of "Escape To The Movies with MovieBob." I even have theme music... wow.

Innaugural review for the new show is "Up," which you should really go see right the hell now.

Big thanks to friends, fans, readers and everyone who's been supportive. This is just awesome.


Yoke said...

hey bob glad you got a steady gig reviewing movies been a big fan of your work

do me a favor post a direct link so we can view in full screen please.

hope they are paying you

white templar said...

great reviews. great reviews.

Ghostmayhem said...

Great video, Bob, and congratulations on the new series, but I can't help questioning your eligibility in that ScrewAttack contest now that you're fully in work for another gaming-based website.
Still, I'll vote for ya ;)

As for the film, I can't wait to see this. I had mixed feelings about it, as well as Wall-E last year, from the second it was announced. Now I know NEVER to question Pixar.
Well, unless it comes down to talking cars...

Bob said...


I checked it out, and I am in fact elligible. Otherwise, I'd have removed myself from the contest already.

Simon said...

great review, have a good feeling about the film. The commercials about it haven't hit holland yet but will do so soon, i hope.

anyway, my hope in animated movies is a bit restored with this upcoming trhilling event.

Oh yeah, also hope i see more of you popping up on the escapist.

NobleBear said...

First, I'm glad to see you with your own show on the escapist, I haven't always agree with you, but I have always liked you. :)

I know you're trying to be nonspoilerific but I gotta ask: Is the reason I should see UP because it references classic literature rather than forge (or reforge) its own mythos? Or because its an animated feature that tackles more serious subject matters?

I haven't happened to have seen any of these movies yet, why should I spend my money on THIS one?

You're a sharp guy and its cool to see you back up your stuff by point to specific influences. Also, I like how you point out Pixar's greater themes and what (generally) makes it solid. It'd be nice to see you dig a little deeper as to why UP stands out amongst pixar's cannon or why it put the other summer films this to shame given that they don't have the same goals.

Anyway, good work. Look forward to more from you in the future. :)

Mveculous said...

Great to see that you landed a gig man.

I have to say that I really loved this movie. I had wanted to see it ever since I heard about it 3 or 4 years ago. An old man turns his house into an airship and sets out on adventure, giving the finger to everyone in the process? HELL. YES.

And about the sad parts. I cried. SEVERAL times throughout the movie. Usually I'm just too manly to cry and either hold it in or deny like a politician. But I found it so moving that I dropped it and admitted it.

Bob said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nan said...

I agree with you overall, and this is definitely the best movie so far this year, but I do have to take you to task on one thing; the appeal of Pixar films being due to the focus on male characters.

their success is simply because they're well-made movies that focus on great stories and well-drawn, in both senses, characters, along with good writing. That said, I'd really like to see them have a female centric movie in the future. we've had a couple good supporting characters, such as Elastigirl and Dory, but not one that's the main character.

the big problem is everyone thinks an animated movie with a woman as the lead has to be about a princess. Monsters vs. Aliens showed that it doesn't. sure that one wasn't quite up to Pixar's level but the story was fine. ff a grumpy old man can be the star of an action story, why can't a woman? the boys have had plenty of attention at Pixar. can't we girls get a little?