Thursday, August 06, 2009

Good Hair

Chris Rock has been struggling for a long time now trying to find a movie vehicle that allows him to be as funny AND smart as he is in his standup... easier said than done for black comic actors not named Will Smith or Eddie Murphy. Previously the closest he got was "Head of State," a wildly-uneven, already-forgotten boxoffice dud centered around the ka-raaaaazy premise of a Black presidential candidate... ;)

Now he's produced his own film, a comic documentary about the hugely-profitable yet (to most white people, myself included) business of special chemical, treatments and equipment to "straighten" black women's hair; plus the offbeat, somewhat-troubling cultural issues surrounding it:



I'd say this looks like the Chris Rock movie I've been waiting for.

2 comments:

realitysurfer said...

Please take a moment to check out my documentary film BLACK HAIR

It is free at youtube. 6 parts including an update from London, England.

It explores the Korean Take-over of the Black Beauty Supply and Hair biz..

Kinda like Madame C.J. Walker in Reverse....a tragic comedy.

I am not a hater, I am a motivator.

Plus I am a White guy who stumbled upon this, and felt it was so wrong I had to make a film about it.

Can it be taken back?

Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p96aaTSdrAE

GamerFromJump said...

This sentence might need a proofread:

"...a comic documentary about the hugely-profitable yet (to most white people, myself included) [adjective?] business of special chemical, [no comma needed] treatments and equipment..."

I'm not trying to go "English teacher" on you, but I wasn't sure what adjective you were going for. However, the tone of the sentence would seem to imply something like "inscrutable".