Friday, June 18, 2010

Escape to the Movies: "Toy Story 3"

"Intermission" picks up where last week left off:


Anonymous said...

I think your revealing "a vision of h*%^ that will haunt your kids for a decade" may have deterred me from seeing this somewhat. It is syill a good movie I hope.

Kyle said...

I don't know why I was afraid they'd screw it up.

Really looking forward to this now.

Anonymous said...

With regards to your list: "Castlevania" would be awesome, if it weren't for the fact that last I heard they got the guy ho directed "Saw" to work on it.

I'm depressed now.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the typo; I meant "'who' directed 'Saw'."

KevinCV said...

Regarding your "Intermission" article, I totally agree that "Dragon Quest IV" would make a good movie, and I also totally agree with you on Brendan Gleeson as Torneko Taloon!

That's the most inspired pieces of casting I've heard anyone say! And this is coming from someone who -with his older brother- inadvertently called it for Gary Oldman's casting as Sirius Black in the "Harry Potter" films a mere 2 months prior to "Sorcerer's Stone" arriving in theaters.

In fact, I gotta wonder: Who'd be your picks for the other characters? I'd especially love to hear who you'd want for Ragnar McRyan.

Anonymous said...

no Jonah Hex? i wanted you to watch it first so you could tell me it sucked and i wouldn't have to go see it. as terrible as it looks, i really like Josh Brolin and wanna give it a chance for that reason alone.

Dav3 said...

I think this was probably the best example yet of how ridiculously talented the crew at Pixar really is.

The story is basically on autopilot the whole time and they still managed to make a top-shelf movie that's funny, exciting, surprising, and yes, deeply emotional. I did think that coda dragged on a bit, (but then again I'm the guy waiting in the car with his iPod while everyone else is hugging and saying goodbye for the 18th time)

Anyway, I still can't believe that climax! If a movie can have a "poker face", then Toy Story 3 has the best one ever. I was absolutely sure it was bluffing, it is a kid's movie after all, but it just sits there staring you down until you have no choice but to give in.

I also never imagined anyone would make a G-rated prison movie, but I guess I was wrong there too.

Anonymous said...

Brave Little Toaster? Never Ending Story? What are they?

Now, if you had mentioned All Dogs Goto Heaven, I'd be quaking in my boots.

Gonna see this movie asap.

Jill said...

Excellent review of an equally excellent movie . . . as you say at the end of your review "Thank you Pixar". It almost scares me how good every single Pixar movie is, I didn't think it was possible for a studio to never make a bad movie . . . I really hope they can keep it up!

I agree with everything you said, up to and including the vision of toy hell (I literally went home and dug up some of my old toys thanks to this scene!) and needing a reason for blubbering at the end. Thanks as always for your great review!

bobbzman said...

Very insightful review. Also interesting to note that before the "Hell" climax, the bad guy says "Where's your God (kid) now?" I remember wondering if Toy Story 2 was going for some theological metaphors, but they were pretty explicit this time.

However, it shouldn't be too surprising that Pixar got away with making fun of the Barbie brand. When the first Toy Story was in development, Mattel refused to let Barbie be featured, so Barbie was cut from the movie. Mattel then had to grit their teeth when the movie was a hit and rival toymaker Hasbro enjoyed renewed popularity of Mr Potato Head dolls. I'm sure they don't want to repeat that mistake.

Greenmario16 said...

Just saw the movie... my inner child was cheering for joy at the finale. Great review and even greater movie. Pixar, I was five years old when I first saw Toy Story. I am now a twenty year old college-bound adult. This has been one of the first and best series I have ever seen and it has stayed with me literally throughout my entire life. Thank you, from the bottom of my inner child's heart, for being there to lift my spirits whenever preadolescence had me down.

...sorry, had to get that out.