Tuesday, January 04, 2011

$#%&@!!!

Egh. In all honesty, I have no words for how annoyed I am at this.

So... Heat Vision says that they've chosen a director for the new "Godzilla" remake... and it's Gareth Edwards, late of "Monsters." Makes perfect sense, right? Clearly, the only possible qualified candidate to helm the rebirth of the greatest of all movie monsters is the director of a laughably-pretentious sub-Syfy waste of time featuring two of the most awful lead characters in the history of the genre.

My burning need for a GOOD new Godzilla movie has my brain overclocking trying to find some sliver of worth in this... and it ain't working. "Monsters" (which was the subject of "Escape's" Halloween Show) wasn't technically impressive in any way that a hundred other semi-pro-with-an-FX-background projects aren't also, the actual directing is tremendously-uninspired and Edwards' own script was punishingly terrible... so, of course, he's helping to retool the script for "Godzilla" as well as directing it. FUCK.

If I didn't have a night of work to do, I would literally be pouring a stiff-as-hell drink and zoning out with "Donkey Kong Country" to wash this out of my brain. Thanks a bunch, Legendary Pictures...

7 comments:

ZAENGO said...

woah, okay, calm down bob. its all gonna be alright. just think positive thoughts. even the worst directors in history have been able to pull SOMETHING good out of their asses (remember Rampage by Uwe Boll? that was good). Gareth MIGHT surprise us. i have a good feeling about the new year. im feeling optimistic.

besides, it cant be any worst than the Roland Emmerich one.

9jack9 said...

Monsters wasn't that bad, I honestly don't get the hate. Legendary Pictures has a good track record, some guidance by professionals with experience in genre films are just what Edwards needs to improve in the areas where he's still lacking

Sssonic said...

I have yet to see "Monsters", but it doesn't sound like my cup 'o' tea from what I've heard. Still, I'll at least give Edwards a chance here; as often as there are directors who show a consistent level (or lack) of talent, there are also those whose quality swerves wildly from film to film depending on the material (I'm thinking Wes Craven and, to a lesser extent, Ridley Scott). Still, can't say this fills me with much hope either.

Jonnyp555 said...

I haven't seen Monsters, but it looks a little too message-heavy for my liking. The female lead looks annoying too.

I just hope he pulls away from the human drama. Peter Jackson managed to make King Kong more about the gorilla than anything else. I'm sure the same can be done for Godzilla.

Am I the only one who thought the last Godzilla wasn't all bad? I mean the whole "she came to eat fish and lay eggs" thing was a little silly, but still, it was fun.

john said...

You know, at least Roland Emmerich was someone who conceivably might have made a good Godzilla flick...

Smurphy said...

I feel that we need to step back and take a look at the bigger picture here. Everything is still in the planning stages, and at this point I doubt everything is set in stone. Perhaps, much like with Iron Man 3 the director will either be dropped or leave. There is still also the possibility that his first film served as a learning exercise and he will surprise all of us. There is still hope, however distant it may feel.

R. Dempsey said...

Edwards has confirmed he's not writing. Also some of his comments have shown a lot humility and aren't riddled with fanboy-appealing buzzwords.

I'm optimistic about Edwards handling Godzilla. He's a big fan of 60s and 70s sci-fi (The Golden Age of the franchise) and a casual fan of Godzilla films in general. I think that's the perfect combination for a director to have when approaching a property like this (Peter Jackson's King Kong has convinced me that "Super fans" of something don't necessarily make the best Directors).

I mean comeon, how much more backwards could you get then Emmerich/Devlin's god awful travesty? We've seen the bottom of the barrel. And LP (Especially the notoriously picky and hard to work with Toho) aren't going to repeat the same mistakes that Tristar did.

I actually don't think Edward's will much enjoy working on this film, or be given any real wiggle room considering how notoriously tight-fisted Toho can be.