Friday, April 08, 2011

Escape to the Movies: "Your Highness"

"Intermission" has James Gunn talking about his movie, "Super."


Popcorn Dave said...

Huh... the Escapist's down... that doesn't happen very often.. :O

Aaron said...

Well the escapist is down right now so I can't comment on the review yet but since you made a big picture episode on Mystery Science Theater 3000, I just wanted to inform anyone who is interested in watching the show for the first time or rewatching old episodes that the following episodes are on Hulu right now for free.

The Starfighters

Horrors on Spider Island

Ring of Terror

Secret Agent Super Dragon

Monster A-Go-Go

The Rebel Set

The Giant Gila Monster

American Scary

Nick said...

That's weird, the Escapist has been working fine for me all day.

Anyway, when I first saw the ads for Super, I wondered, "What makes this something besides a clone of Kick-Ass? Your Intermission makes that actually rather clear, thanks.

WilhelmVonHaig said...

Escapists down over here. Can't watch the video, why don't you put it on youtube for a while?

SaLaDiN_5 said...

Could you give us some feedback about why and how escapist is down Mr.Overthinker

akkuma420 said...

You should have done a review of "Arthur"... looks hilarious, right? lol...
Being sarcastic, that movie looks like complete shit.
Russel Brand playing Russel Brand in another type casted Russel Brand movie...
anyways... gonna stop wasting time now, looks like Escapist is back up.

WilhelmVonHaig said...

Still down over here.
Suffering withdrawel.

ZAENGO said...

okay bob, im losing my shit over here. the whole site seems to be down. come on, help us out.

akkuma420 said...

It came back up for a bit, I was able to watch it. It's down again though.

Darren said...

Are you going to review any of those other movies in greater detail later considering the length of your review for you highness? Just wondering :/

counterpoint said...

stoner humor meets bad fantasy.... sounds like too many d&d campaigns i've been in.

Hey bob, I wrote a musical about a gaming convention, it's getting done in LA this coming may. We're making a youtube music video of one of the songs, and i could really use a cameo from a certain famous web movie critic.

check out the song "Nerds will Rise" on our myspace page - . let me know if you're interested.

Actually, any of you guys, please let me know if you want to cameo in this video!

Popcorn Dave said...

Seriously, what's going on? I've never known the site go down this long! I DEMAND MY FREE ENTERTAINMENT!

Psyckid008 said...

Okay, let me tell you the difference between the Escapist and everyone else, they don't crash EVER! If those servers are down for even a day, their entire reputation is irreversibly destroyed! Users are fickle, Friendster has proved that. Even a few people leaving would reverberate through the entire userbase. The users are interconnected, that is the whole point. College kids are online because their friends are online, and if one domino goes, the other dominos go, don't you get that?

MovieBob said...

I can't speak on the site being down - its worked fine for me all day, as far as I'm aware.

Nick said...

Yeah, it's working fine for me, too. And the forums are active as ever.

Weird. Maybe it's an ISP thing or something?

Chris Cesarano said...

On the Intermission:

My first introduction to Gunn was his movie The Specials. I really liked it and still enjoy it. It's tough to get others into it since the film sort of starts slow and needs to avalanche, where the apex is the toy commercial.

The next film I saw, or rather segments of, was Slither, and while parts of it were funny, it was just too damn gross for my tastes.

So I'm on the fence when it comes to his style of humor. On one hand, he wrote an awesome film I love. On the other, he wrote a gross film with a few moments I could actually enjoy.

I'm also curious if this is a bit closer to Defendor starring Woody Harrelson, which wasn't a bad movie, but wasn't great either. This sounds like it would be goofier and yet darker. Either way, I'm not expecting another Specials.

Lee said...

Why is Natalie Portman is every third movie, now? She's good and all, but jesus, overexposure, here.
Super sounds good, but everything else that came out this week can take a flying leap.

Robert said...

Wow Bob, this piece of shit made you laugh?

You recommend Red Riding Hood, Sucker Punch, and now this? Third strike.

No more reviews from you thanks. Peace

Popcorn Dave said...

MovieBob, I don't get it. You brushed off a load of good films at the start with one or two sentences each, then spent the actual review talking about a movie that - by your own admission - there wasn't really much to say about. I'm sure most of us would have preferred a full review of any of the movies you mentioned at the start, instead of reviewing a stoner comedy which will be forgotten in a week and was so lightweight you had to spend half the review talking about something else.

So why pick this and not, I dunno, Source Code or Super? Does someone else choose which movies you have to review? If so, why? Why can't you just choose them yourself? Or did you just pick this film because you reeeeally wanted an excuse to show that Hercules footage?

Chris Cesarano said...

He's mentioned before that the movies he chooses are based on the website. This is an Escapist show after all. With that in mind, now that Escapist has grown huge off of Zero Punctuation, the ratio of intellectuals to mongrelmen has basically raised in favor of the latter.

These people will be less interested in Hanna, Source Code or Super than in Your Highness, I guarantee you that.

I actually find this review helpful. I didn't laugh much at Pineapple Express, and while the initial trailers of this film seemed amusing to me, the review makes me feel as if I should wait to Netflix it (that and my sister found it hilarious, and her taste in film is...pedestrian).

Yes, I'd rather hear him talk about a good film, but let's face it. If Hanna, Source Code and Super are all good, do you need him to say anything more?

Joe said...

I'm puzzled why everyone thinks Bob has some influence over The Escapist's IT infrastructure. That's like complaining to a newspaper columnist that the delivery boy didn't bring your morning edition on time.


Actors don't decide release schedules; studios do. This is what led to the overexposure of Michael Cera and Jay Baruchel last year: some of those movies had been filmed 3 or 4 years ago, but the studios decided to release them last year, just a few months apart.

Popcorn Dave said...

No-one thinks that, Joe, but he might have been able to tell us what had happened or when it was expected to be fixed. Maybe they tell their contributors this kind of stuff. Turns out he didn't know anything about it, but it was worth a shot.

Jack T. Chance said...

I hope Super does well. I just saw it with a couple friends and we all had a blast.

Kyle said...

I saw Your Highness today.

I laughed a lot. I laughed the way I laughed at Superbad. It was RIDICULOUS, but I was in the mood for it I guess.

Worth the ticket for me.

Just out of curiosity Robert, did you see and not enjoy the movies that you mentioned Bob recommended?

ZAENGO said...

@robert go eat a dick please. if you have such bad taste in movies, and bob has good taste in movies, its not bobs problem. eat a dick. peace.

adminsmithee said...

@ counterpoint

That is actually a great Song!
I would jump on this bob!

Admin Smithee

Robert said...

@Kyle, yep, saw all three of them. When I wrote that comment I was just bitter that I wasted that much money, but looking back seeing Natalie Portman's ass in the big screen was worth it, I should have just left right after I saw it :P