Friday, April 01, 2011

Jokes are fun...

...but, in all seriousness, go see "Insidious." Not perfect, but REALLY impressive for something shot for only $800,000. Plus, it's heart is in the right place and it's proof that gore-free PG-13 horror doesn't have to be budgetary crutch - if nothing else, it's a PERFECT "scary-movie" that you could probably take kids to (I'd say 10 and up, your mileage may vary.)

FWIW, it's basically a Haunted House movie where the "house" part is kind-of incidental - Patrick Wilson and Rose Byrne are a couple whose son's coma has turned him into some kind of ghost-attracting antenna; so they can't just pick up and leave to solve the problem.

Storywise, if you've seen a ghosts-in-the-house movie, particularly "Poltergeist," you know where this is going, but the fun (for me anyway) is in the execution. James Wan and Leigh Wannell remind us WHY the original "Saw" was so effective in early "spooky noises" sections, but when it's time to make with the ghosts they also let slip a surprising sentimentality for ultra-oldschool "kiddie" spook-house imagery - the 3rd act looks like an attempt to adapt a local High School's annual charity "Haunted House" into a movie. That's probably going to be the "checking out" point for a lot of people, but I dug it.

13 comments:

Tim said...

You see? Instead of wasting your time with a tired and unfunny April Fools gag, you could have told everyone about this movie. Think about it. Only a handful of people read your blog. Way more people watch your show so it would have been a better way to get the word out. Instead, you pissed away the opportunity.

Dan W said...

So Im guessing Tim didnt like the April Fools joke for Escape to the Movies this week.

@Bob, Great vid this week, I really enjoyed it and it was good for some cheap laughs! Keep up the good work!

TheDVDGrouch said...

What are your personal thoughts on James Wan as a director? I know the people I talk to always seem to be hopelessly split and I was wondering how you felt about him.

crazyrockboy said...

I only saw the trailer today, I have to say I'm intrigued. Although, I am quite a big wuss and may wait until a DVD release before I make a fool of myself in the cinema by jumping every five minutes ^_^'

Ezenwa said...

@Dan W
No, tim didn't like it. not one bit

As for Insidious, I would see it, if I cared about horror-films that are PG-13, which I don't. IMO, it takes the fun out of it for some reason..

Nick said...

If something is connected to MovieBob in any way whatsoever, that tells you all you need to know about whether or not Tim enjoys it.

akkuma420 said...

@Nick
haha... agreed.

Dan W said...

Tim must of have some bad experience with an April Fools prank and takes his frustration out on Bob.

Aaron said...

I actually agree with Tim. Making a video about this movie would have helped a larger amount of people learn about this movie. And if I can bring out the "just my opinion" shield, the video wasn't very funny anyway so this would have been much better.

akkuma420 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daniel said...

Didn't Rubber also come out today? Have you seen that yet, Bob?

Stark said...

@Ezenwa
The only reason this isn't rated R is because of the lack of serious gore and sexual scenes. Which wouldn't have added anything to the movie that wasn't already there.
I loved the movie, finally someone gets the haunted house movie right.

J_Tracey said...

Hey Bob, what did you think about Source Code? I was sure you would've reviewed it since it was Duncan Jones who was directing. I saw it last night and thought it was awesome.