Thursday, April 21, 2011

MovieBob's (other) insane Wii2 Theory (maybe) gets slightly less insane

Oh! And hey, check out my interview on PixelJumpers...

The Escapist has some Reddit pix up, purporting to be design-scans (from developers toolkits?) of Wii2 (aka Project Cafe, aka "The Stream") controllers that - if real - look an awful lot like my "other" guess at the device's format; name that it'd be essentially the "bottom half" of a 3DS in the button/screen setup.

That's certainly what it looks like, and makes me even more curious if one of the "big reveals" of this machine is going to be that you can actually USE a 3DS in place of a controller. "It's made of stuff you already might have!" strikes me as a very Nintendo-esque marketing theme, and it'd go hand-in-hand with the all-but-innevitable confirmation that it's going to be backwards-compatible with the Wii Remote as well. They would, after all, be INSANE to tell people that all of the plastic attachments they bought for Wii Sports aren't "useful" anymore.

And the countdown to "Skyward Sword will be delayed to be a Wii2 launch-title but don't be mad at us because look! OMG! Smash Bros. 3DS and Raccoon Mario is back!" begins...

10 comments:

TheAlmightyNarf said...

My growing theory is that the big break out hit for the Wii that shocked the hell out of Nintendo was Netflix, which is no small part of why Netflix and 3d movie watching is such a huge seller for the 3DS.

What does this have to do with Cafe you may ask?

Being able to stream movies directly to the controller while the main console itself is doing something else like playing a game or a different movie. Perhaps even stream different movies to different controllers. Kind'a like a cloud media device that Sony and Microsoft will wet themselves over wishing they thought it up.

Clayton said...

Bob, those images were first found on 4CHAN. That is all I have to say

akkuma420 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
akkuma420 said...

Does 4chan want a gold star? maybe a cookie?
Who the hell cares where they surfaced first... there here now.

Sssonic said...

@akkuma420: I believe Clayton's point is more that the images must be taken with a grain of salt because 4chan is not exactly the most reputable source in the world.

Anyway.

I rather hope "Skyward" does not befall the same fate as "Twilight Princess", simply because I sincerely believe the last-second re-tooling of "Twilight" as a Wii-launch title when it had been built up as the Gamecube's last hurrah did a lot to sully its reputation, and thus far "Skyward Sword" looks far too awesome to deserve such a mar.

akkuma420 said...

@Sssonic
Well if that's the case than I apologize.

@Clayton
If what Sssonic said was true, I apologize for my overly sarcastic uncalled for remark.

Guybrush said...

My absolutely plausible function for the touchscreen
http://i.screwattack.com/content/images/orig_60783_1_1303406991.png
hoping for SuperStreetFighterIV: Arcade edition Café edition.

Sarge said...

Those look insanely fake.

Hyrabethian said...

From what I've read, Wii2, Stream, or what ever it's called will be in HD and more powerful than both the PS3 and 360.

Personally, I haven't been into Nintendo since the N64 days, and if this is what the new model has to offer then I'm sold.

Phantos said...

RE: Skyward Sword:

I won't mind if Skyward Sword becomes a Wii2 title. I'd just prefer Nintendo let it stand on its own merits, instead of getting indecisive about whether they just want to remake Ocarina of Time.