Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Coming Attractions

Believe the hype. "X-Men: First Class" is incredible, easily superior to all four previous films in the series and a must-see for fans of the franchise and genre. Obviously, you're likely to hear more details from me at a later date, but wanted to get that down for the record because I know many people are still approaching this one cautiously, and it would really suck if this movie wound up paying for the sins of "X3" and "Wolverine" in the public-consciousness.


akkuma420 said...

Personally I can't wait to see "First Class".
The trailers keep looking better and better and I really like the choice for Magneto.
X3 was Rattners fault and Wolverine wasn't good by any means, but I don't think it was as bad as everyone made it out to be.
I'm very much looking forward to this movie and will be seeing it at 12:01 on Thursday night/Friday morning.
I take it you got an early screening Bob?
It's a good sign that you like it though because I usually agree with your movie suggestions... for the most part. ;)

Nick said...

Which day should I see it on to help the box office numbers more: Friday or Saturday?

I could do both, of course...

Adam said...

I know it's just a prequel but I really hope this translates into a reboot of the franchise. Course who knows how long these comic book movies can ride the success train but I think we've still got time.

John.E said...

Seeing it tomorrow, can't wait!

Ezenwa said...

Not seeing it, don't want to.

SatansBestBuddy said...

Too late, X3 and Wolverine did their damage, I'll be shocked if this movie really is good enough to mend those wounds but I'm not holding out hope it'll happen until the DVD's start selling.

Anyway, Bob, just looked for an email of yours, can't find one, so I'm posting this here, cause I think I'm crazy and need help:

Kung-Fu Panda 2 is either directed by, or heavily influenced by, Monty Oum.

I know this sounds nuts, but those action scenes are easily the best I've seen out of Hollywood since The Matrix, and without copious amounts of slow-mo to muck it all up, and the only guy I know who's done anything THAT crazy is Monty Oum.

(if you're reading this and have no idea what I'm talking about, look up Dead Fantasy, or preferably, Red vs. Blue season 8, episode 10)

Please tell me I'm not seeing things here.

akkuma420 said...

Man I'm with you on that one.
I wish they would just have this movie be the start of rebooting the series.
X-Men is near and dear to my heart, and it has not been given the proper big screen treatment that it should have gotten.
The X-Men series has always had an AWESOME amount of potential on the big screen... but thus far it has been thrown away due to poor directing, poor character casting and most of all Brett Rattner.
Who knows though... maybe this could be the beginning of a reboot.
Although I did hear that Hugh Jackman makes a cameo(I dunno if its true or not)... and if that's true, that means they are linked to the other 3.

Psyckid008 said...

Am I the only one who's still pissed that we never got to see Hugh Jackman is the classic Wolverine costume?

SpIdErDaN said...

of to see it in an hour :) cant wait

Hasse said...

I second this. Saw it last night at an early screening and I've got to say that this is a really nice super hero movie. The acting and directing is great. Their powers are constantly presented in a way that makes them believable and the character dynamics are pretty good.

So many performances surprised me positively. Mainly Kevin Bacon was bad-ass and January Jones worked really well. Professor X and Magneto were also great and believable - great acting. Finally all the kids did a really good job.

My gripes are few. One thing is that because their mutant abilities differ alot, I can't see why they would feel they have THAT much in common. I mean, a girl who can shapeshift and a dude who can read minds: They are not exactly two drops of water, yet the dialoges are often based on all the things the mutants share.
Otherwise, if you're not too familiar with the story of X-men I think the ending could seem a little unfulfilling.

Those are just minor gripes. This is a great movie that blows Thor out of the water for me and that is with saying that I really liked Thor.

Chris Cesarano said...

Man, am I the only person that wasn't too impressed with Singer's versions either? It didn't seem to me like Rattner did much more damage than had already been done.

Then again, I also like Rush Hour...yes, all of them. Sigh. Everyone has their guilty pleasures, I guess.

As for First Class, I might actually try to see it twice with different groups of friends. X-Men is really the one comic line I have any real familiarity with, though even then my knowledge is limited (comics take forever and get so convoluted...). But because of my familiarity I'm more excited to see Vaughn's take on it.

Especially after watching the special features for Kick-Ass (well, some of them, as there are a LOT on Blu-Ray). Not only is he a good director, but he has a really good team as well. So yeah, from here on in I'm excited for just about anything he does.

Alloflifedecays said...

Seeing it tonight with a bunch of hot bi chicks. DAMN my life rocks.

Smashmatt202 said...

Speaking of Wolverine, did you see that Batman vs. Wolverine fan film?


Kyle said...

I really REALLY liked X-2. I thought that movie was really phenomenal.

Now, Nightcrawler is my favorite and I'm a sucker for Alan Cumming so I could have a very biased opinion on the whole movie based on a part rather than the whole.

I'm seeing First Class opening weekend.

CraftyAndy said...

The fail began when they hyped up Deathstrike being in X-2. The former love interest out to kill wolveriene for murdering her father. Except in X-2 she had one line, a fight and then death. It was fucking stupid, and told me these people only care about making a throw away action movie that will not age well.
I know the kick ass director will fix this, and not do something stupid like kill half the cast in order to be "edgy"

Phantos said...

...I think I might be the only person who legitimately enjoyed "The Last Stand". And I've never seen a compelling argument for why it sucks beyond "B-but... but... BRETT RATNER!!!!" Even the "Pawns go first" part made sense to me. I thought the whole point of Magneto is that the cruelty of his world turned him into everything he despised?

That, and I think any movie where Kelsey Grammar plays "Beast" can't be all bad.

This one looks kind of bland and sterile, but then so did the first three. And if nothing else, it'll be good to see Kevin Bacon onscreen again.

counterpoint said...

so. good. to. hear.

Christian said...

I'm with Kyle on this. X2 was nothing short of brilliant (Nightcrawler is my favorite X-Man, and Alan Cumming is just awesome), so First Class had better be something REALLY special to bypass that movie.


How amazing was that last fight scene in Kung-Fu Panda 2?

akkuma420 said...

Yes Rattner had ALOT to do with it seeing as he directed the movie... But if it's specifics you need, then lets start with Vinnie Jones as "The Juggernaut Bitch!" fucking stupid... some dumb ass internet joke should NOT be put into a multi million dollar movie.
The fight at the end was "underwhelming" to say the least.
The special effects where awful, especially trying to make Patric Stewart and Ian Mckellen look young towards the end.
Just an all around awful movie.
I don't completely blame Rattner since he was thrown in to take over at the very last minute, but still, alot of the reason why that movie was as bad as it was, was because of Rattner's lack of experience with those types of films.

X-Men just needs to get the reboot and start from scratch.

I agree though, Kelsey Grammar was AMAZING as Beast and should be used again. He was by far the best part of that whole movie.

Oh yea, where the hell was Night Crawler... easily the best thing that came out of X2, then he just disappears for X3?

Aiddon said...

cool by me. I think it actually the most potential out of all the Marvel movies this summer just because it's being done by a really talented director and doesn't have any of the bullshit Avengers baggage that Marvel is trying to cram down the audience members' throats

Jacob said...

A tad unrelated, but i have to ask:
MOVIEBOB: What's your take on this whole DC Reboot thing? Like seriously? They're REBOOTING..........EVERYTHING?!?!?!?! First of all, how is that even......what?!?!? How do you reboot Superman? I like the integration of the simultaneous digital releases but still! Help me out here; is there any way DC gets out of this without alienating half heir readers? I mean, how many "Fresh, young readers" are there to even draw in? And if you're just gonna piss off the old ones....i dunno!...Maybe do a Big Picture episode on this or something! Ifeel like it's a really timely issue!
PS big fan, keep up the good work

Smashmatt202 said...

Phantos, you're not the only one who enjoyed The Last Stand, Doug Walker, aka the Nostalgia Critic, also liked it:


He didn't care for Wolverine, though.

Phantos said...


I was more disappointed that the Juggernaut was a character of less importance to the mythos there than the fact that they referenced a meme. But then, I was late to discovering the Juggernaut meme anyway, so my reaction was probably more favourable than it was for the people who were sick of it.



I'm not sure why, but I've never been able to get into the Nostalgia Critic videos. I've seen worse though, and if nothing else he's a good source for youtube-poop material:


Smashmatt202 said...

I prefer CD-i games in my YouTube Poop.

Phantos said...

Upon watching that link you provided, Smash, I gotta say I pretty much agree 100% with everything Doug said. About pretty much all of it.

Still, he probably could've trimmed it down to a half-hour or something.

Smashmatt202 said...

Well, by the looks of things, he was probably improvising the whole video, so maybe if he had scripted it, he could have made it shorter. Personally, I think this is better, I like that down-to-Earth sort of talk that pretty much anyone can understand.