Friday, May 13, 2011

Escape to the Movies: "Troll Hunter"

Oh, good. Blogger is back up for a few minutes...

Intermission: "What's What In 'Thor'?"


Adam said...

RE: Intermission


Right now all I really want to know is how they intend to get Thor back to Earth for the Avengers movie. I'm just hoping it's not a "the cosmic cube screwed up and brought Thor by accident" or some such convenience. If they do intend to make Loki the primary villain for the movie I guess that'll work out easily enough, but I'm kinda hoping that some other villain comes to pass. Really I think Thor would have had a much better ending with him choosing to strand himself on Earth, but that's just me.

oh, nevermind said...

Nice review Bob, if you like international takes on previously Hollywood only genres, I recommend you check out "Rabies", an Israeli slasher (the first horror movie made in Israel!) that just had a good, well reviewed run at Tribeca, and I hope it will be picked up for release in America and/or on DVD soon. The story is brilliant (and very twisty - I won't detail it, lots of spoilers for this one), good acting, great cinematography (can you imagine a slasher taking place entirely in daytime? and WORKING?) and yet it remains very Israeli... I saw it in December and loved it, check it out!

Aaron said...

Hey Bob. This has nothing to do with the topic at hand but since I haven't seen this yet, I might as well bring this up now.

Have you ever seen a show called The Spectacular spider-Man? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

TheDVDGrouch said...

Heard a whole lot of good things about Troll Hunter from Fantastic fest this year. I guess with your good review I really have no reason not see it now.

I especially liked this weeks intermission. Its funny how more and more non-comic fans are staying to watch the post credits scenes only to be confused by what they see. After some friends and I watched Thor they basically asked me to give them a comics 101 on the cosmic cube.

Ezenwa said...


I've seen it. In fact, I have all the eps on DVD. I really liked the approach and the artwork. Sadly, it never caught on.

Psyckid008 said...

@Aaron: I. Fucking. LOVE. Spectacular Spiderman. To me, it's the definitive Spiderman cartoon. It is to Spiderman what Batman the Animated Series was to Batman. The art style took me a little getting used to, but it more than made up for that because it perfectly captures the spirit of the comics, the animation is some of the best I’ve ever seen, the action is incredible, the writing is top notch, and the voice acting is perfect.

Anyway, I’m not a big fan of found footage movies. I couldn't stand Blair Witch, Colverfield, or Paranormal Activity, so I doubt I'll be seeing this.

Psyckid008 said...

Bob's next blog post: This

I'm calling it now.

motyr said...


I agree with Ezenwa and Psyckid008, The Spectacular Spider-Man is spectacular. As far as I know, there are a few episodes up on Youtube, if you want to check it out before investing in a dvd or other purchase.

Peter said...

@Aaron- The show is a masterpiece in my opinion. It's in my personal top 5 cartoons of all time. I put it right up there with the Batman series. I wish this show was on when I was a kid in the 80s. Whoever made the boneheaded move to cancel it needs a boot introduced to the space between his legs.

By the way, every episode is currently on YouTube.

Rob said...

@Adam: The Problem with Thor, at least in the comics, is that there are McGuffins and Deus Ex Machinas all the time. New worlds and new enemies all the time.

Some easy possibilities:

They'll just rebuild or invent a new machine for it.

Or maybe they will bring Asgard to Oklahoma like in the 2006 comics.

Doctor Doom goes and gets them.

Jane Foster has a breakthrough with Shield.

Iron Man makes some machine.

And so on.

Kyle said...

Troll Hunter looks fantastic. I hope I can catch it at some point. Anything that gets compared to District 9 gets my attention, and those were some big hands and feet there at the end.

Popcorn Dave said...

Was anyone else expecting the entire first two minutes to be a long build up to "aaaaaaand it sucks" like the Monsters review?

adminsmithee said...

Its an awesome movie! i got it some time ago and lay it aside a few times to watch much crapier movies.
I regret i did so it is a very good movie, must watch.

Nice to see youre doing foreingers now Bob ;)

-F. said...

Just a minor nitpick:

You are aware the first Godzilla movie is in fact a remake/rip-off from a (in my opinion much more enjoyable) american movie?

polarisdib said...

Troll Hunter sounds like a Norwegian Big Man Japan--a mockumentary about a daikeju fighter regulated to staving off Japans big monsters mostly through getting paid for it via advertising and Pay Per View. Difference is Big Man Japan plays up the cheap effects for the lulz and Troll Hunter looks like it keeps tongue firmly in cheek.