Wednesday, June 29, 2011

War Horse teaser

Here's the first teaser for Steven Spielberg's "War Horse," an adaptation of the 1982 Michael Morpurgo children's book that more-recently inspired a stage play. The story: A horse "drafted" into the Cavalry during World War I suffers mightily as he tries to survive the war and ultimately get back to it's owner, a young English boy - who is also searching for him. Wow. Might as well have titled it, "Please make a movie out of me, Steven Spielberg."



As I see it, there's only two ways this can concievably go: Either it's "Amistad" again (i.e. well-meaning, well-made but ultimately uninvolving stuff) OR we're about to add another title to the "movies it's okay for men to cry at" list.

10 comments:

Christian said...

I saw the stage play in England last year. I'm not sure if the movie will have the same charm as the play, since there are no puppets to be found here.

curren.waters said...

As a Youtube commenter pointed out, he's beating a dead horse.

vamast said...

isnt it like that animated movie about native americans?

Reverend Allan Ironside said...

The horse dies waiting in the rain for the boy to come home, but the boy was frozen cryogenically and wakes up in the year 3000

Ben said...

I saw the original stage production back when it was in the National Theatre in London (before it hit the West End/went aborad).

I gotta say, it was one of the greatest entertainment experiences of my life. 'The Golden Compass' also had this problem since I saw His Dark Materials at the National Theatre too. It's a fantastic story and I'm sure they can do a lot with it, but it's not going to have the style that came with the theatrical production.

Adam said...

I saw the stage version of this in London just a few months ago. I was pretty amazed by the production elements and the story works pretty well even if it seems a little overly convenient at times. What I found most impressive about the play was how authentic the actors made the horse puppet look. It sometimes got to the point where I didn't even see the actors moving the thing around.

Pat said...

If this gets a PG-13, I expect it to be a big hit.

CraftyAndy said...

If this has a level of brutality like saving private ryon did, then I'm game. Though I suppose a Pg-13 route will due... I hate compromises.

Moeez said...

Why would this need R-rating brutality? You want a dying horse? Check out Lars von Trier's MEDEA.

Bobby said...

Am I the only one to have found that trailer to dull as hell? There is no context for anything going here, and as such, I am not interested in the least about the images I am being shown.

"Ooooo, it's a horse in war. How sad." It would be, if I had a reason to give two shits about the horse.