Wednesday, July 27, 2011

"Battleship"

The big misconcpetion that most of the public has right now about every movie needing to be "based on" something, even old toys and board-games, is that Hollywood is "out of ideas." Not the case. What they're "out of" - or at least percieve themselves to be out of - are things that garauntee an instant "connection" with an audience in the marketing sense. A Tom Hanks/Julia Roberts rom-com BOMBED this summer. That scares the shit out of industry people - if name-stars can't "register," what the hell can? Well, brand-names - of ANY kind - that've been burned into the collective unconscious, for one.

Hence, "Battleship," which basically takes the name (and probably the "you sank my Battleship!!!" line at least once) and packaging-font of the old naval-warfare game and slaps it onto a (technically) original story about a navy fleet versus water-based aliens...


Take away the "oh, gawd... the BOARD GAME!?" aspect, and I don't think it looks half bad. Peter Berg is an interesting director; and we haven't seen a wholly ocean-set genre film in awhile. I'll admit I'd be exponenially more interested if it didn't look like they were just regular space-aliens hanging out in the water - when did science-fiction decide that the "undersea invaders from Atlantis, Mu, etc." bit wasn't "cool" anymore?

10 comments:

TheNinjaMax said...

It's more like Hollywood thinking:
"Hell, if movies based on robot toys can sell gold bricks, why can a movie based on a naval board game but put ALIENS in it?! Aliens with transforming technology."

Yeeeeaaaaahh...

SirRosser said...

Say, Bob, I just thought of a question. This may have nothing to do with the subject matter, but this trailer brought it up in my mind anyway. See, I was just thinking that I'd probably get excited about just about any popular property that was made into a movie with the naieve hope that it would turn out good and my childhood would be vindicated. Hell, they've made a ton of crappy movies about my favorite toys and games, but I still keep seeing them. Thing is, I usually see them about a year after the fact for extremely discounted prices, and far after the hype has died down. As a professional, and I'm not asking this to be pretentious or ironic or anything, do you think I'm missing something by not seeing the movies when they come out in the theater? What are your thoughts on this?

Gauntlet said...

That isn't original at all. Also i think what audiences want is probably a bit of substance in there movies after the success of oh Inception, Black swan, True Grit, The Kings Speech and probably many more I can't remember now.

This looks rubbish really it does. i would be disappointed in Liam Neeson if he didn't star in this sort of rubbish a lot.

KingOfDoma said...

I would laugh till I cried if these aliens had the same weakness as the ones from Signs...

Adam said...

The trailer itself isn't that bad really. Nothing mind blowing, but at least the aliens are coming from the water which hasn't been done in a while (as much as I can remember). Naval battles are awesome.

And the "Battleship" title actually makes sense to me now. I'm betting the studio's playing it safe by drumming up name recognition for a movie that so far looks like Battle: Los Angeles on water in hopes of not repeating said dud.

Dave from canada said...

I'm really tired of these alien invasion movies. There hasn't been a good one in a LONG time, and throwing more shit at the fan isn't going to help.

All we have here is skyline....with boats.

I was hoping that D9 and avatar might get us an Alien Nation reboot.

jmg24601 said...

really, it looks like transformers 4 and not in a good way.

bigjkt said...

@jim24601 co-sign on that one. Ever since the first Bay-Formers it seems like Hollywood thinks all alien space ships have to look Mega-Bay-Tron or C3PO from Star Wars Episode One. They all look like floating garbage scows. I know our country is broke but does that mean the rest of the Universe is broke too?

Chris Evans said...

For some reason Liam Neeson makes me think of Zaeed Massani in this.

The Projector said...

Is it me, or has Liam Neeson become the human cliche?