Thursday, July 14, 2011

EW previews the new Spider-Man

iFanboy has scans up (now posted in hi-res elsewhere) from Entertainment Weekly's "Amazing Spider-Man" cover story. The piece itself is so much P.R.-driven fluff (EW, after all) but there's some new stuff to see: Action poses of the new suit (still looks like an overdesigned mess to me, and the least-likable thing about the Raimi-era suit - the "texture" stuff - is turned up to eleven) first look at Martin Sheen as Uncle Ben (MEGA-SPOILER!!! He looks like... Martin Sheen in a work shirt!!!) and Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy.


The big "nerd-minutiae" stuff is real, visual confirmation that the web-shooters are oldschool mechanical - which pretty-much everyone has known for over a year now (yeah, I'll brag about it - called it right off the bat as the easiest bit of fanservice they could do) but it's still nice to see.

Still no explanation for Spidey's odd metal toe-shoes - at least, no official one. It's not solid enough for me to "tip my hand," but some of the early rumbles suggest that the "source" of Peter's powerset (and maybe even transformation/origin itself) are getting a major overhaul that leans heavy on the home-made-hero angle; so take that for what you will.

11 comments:

motyr said...

Hold on, THAT suit is supposed to lean heavy on the home-made-hero angle?????????????

Reverend Allan Ironside said...

Wow. This looks more and more like the Twilight-ing of Spiderman the more I see it. Color me uninterested. I'll wait until Marvel gets the rights back

Adam said...

Well I certainly buy that he's playing an awkward teen Spidey because he sure as hell looks like it in that getup.

Avistew said...

Not a fan of the costume, but I do really like Garfield. I'll have to wait and see for this one.

antecedentless said...

That hair... just yuck.

Does any woman here honestly find Edward Cullen's hairdo attractive?

Chris Cesarano said...

The only things that don't work for me are Garfield's hair (they couldn't cut or style it to something better?) and Aunt May looks a little too young to resemble an iconic character.

On the whole, I'll wait until I see a trailer before I determine whether I'm truly interested or not. Still, I'm calling MovieBob to hate this more than he hated Green Lantern.

lemonvampire said...

So how exactly is this "not" a reboot again?

Also, I think the costume design is really cool, but I still hate it for reasons I can't quite put my finger on. Spidey's had a lot of different costumes over the years so I'm okay with different designs. I really loved the design in the Raimi films. I loved that, at a time when other Marvel heroes were donning black leather, Raimi actually stuck to the iconic Spider-Man costume, just with some minor tweaks. I liked the texture and the logo designs on it. But I hate the texture on this one. I think it's because with the Raimi costume, it still looked like cloth, while this looks like rubber. Too shiny.

MajorRed53 said...

The cheap shot at geeks in the article was a classy touch.

Timzor said...

I'd call that less a cheap shot and more a statement of fact.

I don't like the costume much, but a more "home-made-hero angle" actually sounds pretty intriguing to me, since it would emphasize the whole "Peter Parker: Scientific Genius" thing, that I hear often gets neglected.

Avistew said...

Can't say I noticed the hair one way or the other. The guys his hot, I love his face, I don't care what's on top of it.
I guess it is puffy though. Meh. I like it better than Tobey Maguire's Spiderman. Then again I was always distracted by the guy's bulging eyes so I can't remember what his hair looked like either.

joeverlander said...

We already had First Class, we can't expect them to all be good.

It looks poor, and they've managed to ugly up Emma Stone, something I didn't believe was possible. It looks like a Green Lantern style stinker, and I'm calling it now.