Monday, July 25, 2011

"Knights of Badassdom"

Hat-tip to Devin

It's kind of a shame that the studios have woken up to the notion that being a big-hit at Comic-Con doesn't mean it's going to make money, because otherwise "Knights of Badassadom" would probably already have a distributor. The director is Joe Lynch - who'd be more reverred among horror fans if only his excellent "Wrong Turn 2" wasn't tainted by being a sequel to "Wrong Turn" - and the premise is a head-slapper: A bunch of LARPer buddies accidentally unleash an actual demon and have to fight it. Peter Dinklage, Steve Zahn, Danny Pudi and Ryan Kwanten star as the hapless heroes, while Summer Glau stars as another $15-20 Million in fanboy tickets alread sold...

6 comments:

Joe said...

Token Canadian passive-aggressive self-important whinging: Wah-wah, The Wild Hunt did a semi-comedic breakup story that goes dark set in a boffer LARP first, even though it sucked, wah-wah.

Now that that's out of the way, this looks really fun and awesome. Although for over half the trailer I was wondering if Summer Glau would get any lines in this thing, or if she was just there for eye candy. Can't wait!

The Mason said...

Gotta say, I absolutely LOVE the concept.

Mads said...

This is getting a movie night with the gang, I guarantee it. Same as Død Snø and the uwe boll movies.

I don't know if the slasher aspect jams that well with me; I always prefered chaotic horror over something that has a concrete personification.

But I seem to be in the minority, what with people prefering vampires over zombies atm.

a.k.a.A.M.V.P said...

That's just begging to get double billed with "The Wild Hunt."

Varya said...

As a LARPER myslef, I have to say I'm impressed they resisted the urge to make them all look stupid, with bad equipment and to many pape-mache dragons. This actually looked like a semi-fair representation of a LARP. Non-mocking humor, I like that.
My only complaint is that I hate it when they use a pentagram as a evil symbol. There are lots of occult stuff you could have used, and using a pentagram just screams New Age and Hollywood-satanism. But I'm definately seeing this movie.
Also, you got to love Peter Dinklage, with him as The Imp fresh in mind, it really makes you pumped to see this

David (The Pants) said...

I gotta say that in reading your description of this concept sounded to me like a bad-movie-in-dire-need-of-a-remake that I made a few years back called What The Hell, but after seeing the trailer it seems different enough. There's still accidental-demon-summoning though. This looks good, and I'm always happy to see Danny Pudi.