Thursday, April 05, 2012

"Show Her 'Yer Chevron Card!"

The big question of the "Ted" trailer was "is this funny without the profanity?" The general-release trailer says: "Pretty much, yeah;" though it does appear to have the "you have now seen the whole movie" problem...



I like the red-band better, less for the profanity and more for how great the build-up/fake-out/payoff reveal of Ted plays out; but this one obviously does a better job explaining the "E.T./Hobbes/Elliot sticks around and becomes the immature holding-you-back buddy from an Apatow movie" premise - which I still think is kind of inspired. I really hope they've already licensed a Talking Ted, because that will be a big grown-up gift later this year...

I can't decide if it's more of an asset or flaw that this is so clearly the Seth MacFarlane Comfort-Zone in live-action - i.e. Ted/Whalberg are so very much Peter/Brian or Stan/Roger, Kunis turning up and Patrick Stewart doing his best Patrick Stewart Narration parody - but the bear legitimately cracks me up. Plus, it looks like they went to the New England Aquarium, so that's pretty awesome.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

meh;I chuckled once. MacFarlane has yet to prove carton wars wrong, but we'll see...

Angry Man said...

bughhhhhhhhhh this looks like live-action family guy, complete with the ridiculous over-the-top fight scene.
Ted's voice sounds EXACTLY like Peter (I know McFarlane can do more voices than that), which is already enough to put me off, but then it does the same stupid anthropomorphic-to-its-limits thing they do on Family Guy where Brian apparently has sex with human women despite being a dog and that's just fucking weird.

The more I see of Seth McFarlane's work, the more convinced I am that American Dad is some magical accident, in that it's not completely terrible like everything else he makes.

ps: Bob I am having a LOT of trouble with your captcha's lately.

Anonymous said...

Legitimate question here. What was with that boob thing at the end?

Oisín O'Driscoll said...

Nar Williams looks unwell. Like he's been on crack since they cancelled his discovery show (which I loved by the way)

Daniel R said...

I laughed, funny trailer. I just wonder if the premise can carry an entire movie. These trailers seem to give up about 70% of the jokes.

Still gonna see it, that I'm sure of. Hope it isn't R in México, then I'd have to sneak in.

Although, I find it a bit weird that Ted looks slightly worse than Teddy from "A.I."

Teddy:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_7d5xZnxrmEw/S2dYEWjQLBI/AAAAAAAAABo/_y-xobPU6Fw/s320/teddy_david_break.jpg

That was what 10 years ago?

Lee Kalba said...

He has admitted that, yes, in fact, the Family Guy brand of cut away gags are interchangeable and sometimes the setups are clunky. But, American Dad proved he doesn't have to rely on the cut away.
And yeah, it's the same accent as Peter, but lower pitched.
All in all, humor is easily the most subjective thing. I read reviews that just adored that movie Cyrus, and I just found it creepy and unfunny, but I can see how some people might find the creepy stuff to be funny; just not me.
And yes, Teddy from the ten year old AI looks just as good, that was a big budget, Spielberg with ILM graphics; this is a low budget comedy. Ten years ago, this kind of thing would have to use a dwarf in a suit.

PS - Don't assume this is a South Park vs Family Guy thing, I will watch both, and they BOTH have problems. While Family Guy's problems were so clearly put forth by Cartoon Wars, South Park's problem is it leans on something topical shoved into a ripped off movie plot. They both have their crutches.

Rob said...

I am SO going to watch this in theatres!

Anonymous said...

I still can't get over that a living teddy bear seems to be a normal thing in this movie.