Tuesday, April 24, 2012

We Are Abandoned

Remember Pizza Hut UK's "Hot Dog Pizza?" Well, Pizza Hut's Middle East branch aims to do them one better: The "Crown Crust Pizza" isn't filled with cheeseburgers - it IS cheeseburgers. And it's topped with what are essentially Big Mac fixin's:

Here's what grabs me about this ad, though - the way the main customer guy treats "Let's order a burger in a pizza place" as a knowing, obvious joke at the restaurant's expense. It suddenly dawns on me... have I been reading this "obscene versions of American food originating in foriegn territories" trend wrong by assuming Pizza Hut etc. is using my overseas friends as labrats for future domestic product? Are y'all actually ordering/making food that looks like a perfect parody of American excess at American restaurants as ironic parody; i.e. a chance to "role-play" as a stereotypically gluttonish American fast-food consumers ("Ha ha! Look at me! My food is made of different food! Let's go get a SUV and vote for Palin!") in much the same way that American chinese food establishments decorate themselves like Fu Manchu's hideout?

Because, if so... that's pretty damn funny. Applaud yourselves ;)


Sylocat said...

That... would make a lot of sense, come to think of it.

It would also explain the Japanese one with a pigs-in-a-blanket crust.

Anonymous said...

As someone who lives in South America, I can tell you me and my friends do this from time to time.

"Let's fold this pizza and wrap it with bacon" is something that was said and done by us once, and soon after the USA was the main topic of discussion (by discussion I mean "jokes").

And it was delicious, if life-threatening.

biomechanical923 said...

Am I the only one who thought maybe they were trying to get away with making the most un-kosher halal food/ thing they could think of to get a laugh at Israel?

Bearsharktopus said...

bio, don't be dumb. Not everything coming from the middle east needs to automatically be suspected of being anti-Israeli Propaganda. This monstrosity may be made and marketed for the middle east, but Pizza Hut

1) Is still an originally and predominantly American company and

2) Has absolutely nothing to gain from trying to make fun of Israelis.

I mean, do you know how much it costs to create something like this, market it, and add it to all their menus? Besides, if all it took to be antisemitic was to make and eat something unkosher, the United States would probably be the most anti-Israel country on the planet.

Jim said...

my arteries started clogging just looking at that thing

KevinCV said...

My feelings exactly, Jim. Not to mention my saliva glands working extra overtime... XD

Mads said...

@ Bob

Well, apart from mcdonalds, that's correct.

McDonalds is, however, such a monocultural institution, even in the US, that it seems like it's outside of national origin.

We had a pizza place using the name "pizza hut" and the official logo for a while in town. Sadly, the pizza did not taste american.

Anonymous said...

All they need to do is add chicken to the pizza and 'boom' we got a conglomeration of the old "McDonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut" song.

KevinCV said...

@Anonymous 4:10 Jet's Pizza already has a BBQ Chicken pizza that's AWESOME. Just saying.

Fault-Finder said...

I can't find a clip of it anywhere, but I used to live in Holland, and one type of commercial I saw ALL THE DAMN TIME over there was for "real American Pizza!" There was one with a family loudly declaring the same around their 50's dinner table and doing group fist bumps, and another for "Texas," pizza where the guy in the add cuts the thing with the spurs on his Cowboy boots. Yes Bob, that's exactly what the rest of the world is doing.

Anonymous said...

I would try this with friends.