Monday, May 21, 2012

Hail The Terrible Wings Of Star-Lord Xenu!

Below, the cryptic but entrancing teaser trailer for Paul Thomas Anderson's "THE MASTER;" a long-gestating project which is based-on that is absolutely not at all in any way, shape or form honest really no-fooling a fictionalized account of L. Ron Hubbard and the rise of Scientology. Philip Seymour Hoffman has the Hubbard part - the titular Master - but doesn't appear in the trailer; which seems to show Joaquin Pheonix as a sailor undergoing some sort of pyschiatric-interrogation.

This will probably end up being one of the big ones this year; but the real interest will be in seeing how the notoriously-litigious, cartoonishly thin-skinned extremely reasonable and clearheaded Church of Scientology reacts to it.


8 comments:

McKinney said...

...I'm not sure how that's going to relate to the movie's tale of not-Scientology, but it's got my attention at least. Color me interested.

Jwillx70 said...

Honestly, if I hadn't read Bob's description, I could very easily confused this for a very odd Doctor Who spin off.

InnerPartisan said...

I am very disappointed, Bob. I mean, the "Joaquin Phoenix undergoing psychiatric interrogation"-gags practically write themselves.

lemonvampire said...

Hasn't Anonymous finished them off yet? How much money/power does Scientology really have anymore? They're scam has long since been completely exposed and they're little more than a punchline now. If they haven't been hemorrhaging membership in the last five years they at least have to feeling losses from a lack of new membership.

Elessar said...

This movie doesn't really NEED to advertise itself to me. I mean, yeah the Scientology aspect is interesting, and it'll be fun to watch them react, but all it needs to say is: Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. After all, he directed There Will Be Blood.
And Magnolia.
And Boogie Nights.
And Punch Drunk Love.

He's a good director, is my point. Very good.

kevmon1116 said...

"The Master"!? I knew something dasterdly was behind Scientology! Someone phone UNIT! We need the Doctor!

In all honesty though, that was really creepy. I do like that it doesn't feel like one of the those modern Shakey-cam psudomentaries, but keeps the cam steady through the scenes.

Aaron said...

Damn, Phoenix is great. He transforms himself as well as any actor working today.

KevinCV said...

@kevmon1116 You beat me to it, but you also made my day with that comment. Congrats. XD