Tuesday, May 08, 2012

RIP Maurice Sendak

Maurice Sendak, legendary author best known for "Where The Wild Things Are," has died at the age of 89. A major, major loss for literature and for culture.

Below, a reposting of my (positive) 2009 review of the "Wild Things" movie; directed by Spike Jonze with Sendak's blessing and endorsement:


KevinCV said...

I still have yet to see this movie, despite being a huge fan of the book as a child. Maybe I'll rent it sometime in memory of Mr. Sendak. *raises drink* RIP, sir. You were a small but significant glimmer of light in my childhood.

Chicago2000 said...

‎"The Wild Things roared their terrible roars, gnashed their terrible teeth, rolled their terrible eyes and showed their terrible claws, but Max stepped into his boat and waved Good-Bye"

R.I.P Maurice Sendak, you're book is forever a part of my childhood, and a part of my child's as well.

Daniel said...

If you haven't seen these yet, here are the series of interviews Stephen Colbert did with Maurice Sendak this past January. Really gives a good look into his character/personality (links are US only, sorry in advance).



P.S. In case you were wondering, Colbert did find a publisher for his book, complete with the Maurice Sendak blurb "The sad thing is, I like it!" with the audio book version read by Tom Hanks

Anonymous said...


Anonymous said...

I'm waiting to see how James relates this to Obama and somehow makes it his fault.

MrVorhias said...

I'M waiting to see how Phil ties this in to movie racism.

Anonymous said...

I didn't understand the movie.

Were the "wild things" supposed to be a commune of hippies or a bunch of homeless people?

All they did was sit around and whine about how nobody likes them.