Tuesday, July 03, 2012

The Big Picture: "Batman Revisited - Part II"

"Batman Returns," but you knew that.

ALSO! Escape to The Movies is on Tuesday this week with my review of "THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN!"


Sam Robards, Comic Fan said...

I remember seeing this when it first came out when I was little, and I definitely didn't get all the sexual innuendo.

However, when I watched it a couple weeks ago, I was pretty shocked at how prevalent it was. Tim Burton's a kinky minx, apparently.

But yeah, seeing Michelle Pfieffer's awesome Catwoman makes me laugh even harder about how horribly miscast Anne Hathaway was in the new one.

ram said...

What were people's reaction to Heath Ledger being cast as Joker?

Maybe you should wait and see when it comes to Hathaway's Catwoman

Sam Robards, Comic Fan said...

The difference between Ledger's casting was the fact that as soon as we heard his laugh in that first teaser trailer, we knew he nailed the part.

When I see and hear Hathaway as Catwoman, I stop and say, "Really? That's supposed to be Catwoman?"

Hey, maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I doubt it.

Sam Robards, Comic Fan said...

*The difference WITH...

This blog needs an edit function!

Joshua the Anarchist said...

I wouldn't say Burton does "get Batman at all". Yes, the killing people thing is a little off, but let's remember that Batman's aversion to guns & killing is a retcon at best. Sure he was never exactly the Punisher, but he certainly didn't shed a tear when criminals fell in the line line of fire. Not that I think they should go back to that, just that it's not unheard of and even now not wildly out of character.

And besides, I think we can agree Burton sure the fuck "got Batman" WAY more that Nolan ever will. He understood that Batman does not belong in anything approaching a real world setting. The neo-noir melodramatic pulp universe of nebulous time period that Burton created and the animated series perfected is exactly the kind of place Batman feels the most natural. Plus, to date Burton's the only guy to play with the idea of Batman as a certified psychopath in any screen adaptation. Let's face it, as a character, Batman taken at face value is dull. Batman being just as insane as the freaks & outcasts he fights? There's a character I can sink my teeth into.

Iñaqui Medina said...

To Joshua:

I don't know about today, but back in the day IT WAS a big deal for Batman to kill. One of the best comic arcs I read was one that ended with Batman having to kill the KGBeast and the Russian detective took the blame, not for legal reasons but just for how important it was for Batman not to present that image...

Gordy said...

Pretty sure I still have that Penguin figure in the attic. :)

I'm somewhat nostalgia-blind when it comes to this movie but yeah, I agree with you about its flaws, Bob.

Batman really shouldn't be killing people, even though it seems to be the norm for almost every superhero to indulge in a spot of murder when they reach the big screen. I know I've brought this up before but he really shouldn't be leaving anyone to die either. Unless you're adapting the 1939 Batman it's completely out of character.

I get the impression that mainstream cinema audiences are so accustomed to seeing villains receive their comeuppance in the form of a date with the reaper that it's considered "uncool" for superheroes to let their adversaries live. The fact that both main baddies make it to Arkham is one of the few things I could reference in 'Batman & Robin's favour. Well, as an adaptation if nothing else.

Although, if I may? "Why is he the only one who mistrusts the Penguin right away?"

C'mon, it's Batman. He doesn't fucking trust anyone. ;)

Anyway, was really interested by those behind-the-scenes details. Looking forward to seeing what you've got in store for us with the next two.