Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Big Picture: "Silly Billy"

I did a show about "The Beverly Hillbillies."


Anonymous said...

The 'thinking about it too hard' typically comes as a response to people who ARE suggesting - in this case for example - that the social commentary was overt or using it as evidence to back some other equally nonsensical argument.

Personally, I'd attest that the social commentary was probably not all that subversive, but more likely a natural absorption of the state of the culture at the time. Just because marketing at the time portrayed a world where everyone should BUY BUY BUY didn't mean that everyone could and there was no doubt a slight amount butthurt culturally as a result. I'm guessing that's what prompted the show to exist in the first place, again, probably not on a conscious level.

TheAlmightyNarf said...

I very much so agree with your assessment that no aspect of our culture can be "over thought" (which is no small part of why I enjoyed the earlier episodes of your other show so much).

As for your the the the Beverly Hillbillies... well, I pretty much entirely agree there to. I guess the best social satire is the kind that doesn't realize it's social satire (also see Phoenix Wright).

John Calt said...

It amuses me as a Dutch that, although Beverly Hillbilly never made it to The Netherlands, there is actually a serie with the same premise:


It plays in the '80, where a family of anti-social and questionable background moves into a rich and opulent neighbourhood. It too illustrated a strong Zeitgeist, objecting against decadency and also showing the other side of the law.

It's still broadcasted today and has become a landmark in Dutch television.

An episode for your enjoyment:

Chris said...

The show was a basic "Fish out of water" scenario that was common. Addams Family and the Munsters were similar. It was almost a rebellion against the prim and proper series like Leave it to Beaver.

KevinCV said...

Interesting premise for "The Big Picture", Bob. I'm honestly a bit surprised you didn't mention the film version that had Jim Varney (God rest his soul) playing Jed.

It's actually one of the few movies made based on a TV show that I actually quite enjoyed despite a few flaws here and there. Maybe it's because I'm just a sucker for Jim Varney, because I loved -and still love- his Ernest movies as a kid.

That reminds me. Do you think you could do a "Big Picture" episode on the Ernest movies? It would make my inner child sing with delight. XD

Thorbs said...

The Beverly Hillbillies was one of my favorite of the standard US programming that was shown here in the UK every Sunday afternoon when I was a kid (along with things like The Waltons, Lost in Space, Little House, Land of the Giants etc).

Translated very well over here too... just imagine them as country folk from up North (kinda Last of the Summer Wine types).

adminsmithee said...

@ KevinCV I second that request

When I saw Dirty Jobs for the first time I tought it was the same guy who did Ernest, it was off course Mike Rowe and not Jim Varney.

Anyway i loved Ernest and love Mike ;)

El Beezerino said...

Brilliant - my only beef is you had no mention of the wonderful Weird Al update of the theme song . . . but alas . . . a man can dream . . . a man can dream . . .

Anonymous said...