Tuesday, October 16, 2012


This is one of those "remake of a classic" first-trailers whose first, last and only mission is to A.) "surprise" audiences with the reveal of what it is (even people who haven't seen "Carrie" have "seen 'Carrie" and B.) let lovers of the original know that this one is bigger but that they know their iconography (re: "don't worry, we're still going to dump blood on her and start a fire.")

Fair or not, I think they're kind of wasting their time if they think classic-horror fans are coming at this one with anything other than knives drawn, regardless of how good it looks or is. The original is known not just for being a good movie but for the "DePalma-isms" that a remake is either going to catch shit for ignoring or catch shit for imitating poorly...

For me, the big draw here is Chloe Moretz - or, rather, the innate interest in seeing one of the all-time high school horror movies executed with actors who actually look like high schoolers (the original, for all it's merits, DOES still have that "obvious 30 year-olds playing children" problem.)


Lido said...

So am I the only who thinks this is just gonna end up like if Chronicle starred a girl and had a budget

Chris said...

Damn, beat me to the Chronicle observation.

Bring on the remake of Cujo

Nixou said...

And still no Dark Tower adaptation..

Pat said...

I actually think a lot of people will give this remake a decent amount of rope simply because Chloe Moretz earned a lot of geek cred for "Kick-Ass". Even critics who will inevitably pan it will probably add in the caveat that Chloe Moretz is the only thing worth watching in it but that she alone can't save the film.

As for me? I dunno, I think that given the recent resurgence of social conservatism post-9/11, the prospect of a child raised with fundamental Christian values in a modern setting is not only plausible, but the subtly different context it would have when compared to the 1976 version could prove interesting, and I'm confident that Kimberley Peirce ("Boys Don't Cry" and "The L Word"), given her track record and personal politics, won't pull any punches.

I think the biggest risk the film runs is in regards to the screenplay. Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa has only ever written comic books, TV shows, and plays (mostly known as the guy who performed last-minute triage on "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark") and while he's had experience adapting Stephen King in the past, I'm nervous.

Still, going from Roberto's previous TV work, he did a few episodes of "Big Love", which involves a lot of challenging themes regarding sex and religious fundamentalism, and one of his episodes of "Glee", "The First Time", was actually one of the brighter spots from last season, giving a rather tasteful and balanced view of teenage sexuality. He also did the episode "On My Way", which dealt with the gay teen suicide epidemic rather well (although the end of the episode has a really awful tacked on anti-texting PSA, but whatever). So I don't know, maybe it will work out.

I think that this film has the potential to be really great and stand apart from the original by grounding it in the present social climate, or it be a spectacular failure where its ambition far exceeds its grasp.

Either way, it has my attention.

Uncle Tim said...

The trailer, with its images of wider-scale destruction and voice-overs that suggest the epistolary framing structure of the book, imply this is going to be more of a straight adaptation of King's novel than a remake of the DePalma film. At any rate, I don't really think the majority of audiences are going to be all that concerned about the "DePalma-isms." Culturally, I think Carrie is more associated with King than DePalma for most people and the character and story seem to be remembered better than split-screens and slow-motion. I believe and I sincerely hope Peirce won't reference any of DePalma's stylistic tricks.

Besides the relevance to social conservatism mentioned above, I'd be interested to see if this version touches on social and cultural reactions to tragedies and violence events, since the investigation and aftermath of such an event is a big part of the book. At any rate, a good story brought to life by an excellent cast and a talented director? Sign me up.

Fallen Angel said...

I suppose I'm not against a Carrie remake, but seeing Chloe Moretz attached to the project just reminds me of that utterly pointless remake of Let The Right One In back in 2010. Not that that was her fault, of course...

David Anders said...

I've been following the news on this story for a while now, and as a fan of the original novel, everything I've been shown through the news articles and now this teaser tell me that yes, they are in fact making this one closer to the book.

"Horror Fans" have become less fans and more obnoxious whining twelve year olds, ready to slit the throat of remake, regardless of it's quality, while simultaneously shitting all over any original film that comes out because "It looks bad" (See-the backlash agaisn't Cabin in the Woods).

While I count myself as a horror fan, as a reviewer and podcaster/blogger myself I've come to the realization that stomping my feet and shouting "OMG THEIR RUINING ___________ HOW DARE THEY! I R TEH MADS!" doesn't achieve anything and just makes me one more obnoxious voice in a sea of them.

My philosophy regarding film reviewing is simple, I wait and see. I'm not going to dismiss a film outright because the trailer looks bad or because it's a remake, that doesn't accomplish anything.

I'm looking forward to this, and I have faith that it can be done without relying on rehashing the De-Palma film.

Does no one remember the 2002 "Carrie" TV movie with Angela Bettis but me?

Anonymous said...

@ David

I remember it, albiet through a rerun I saw on the Sci-Fi Channel three years ago. So be comforted, you aren't alone.

Chris Wyatt said...

I don't know, I want to give this film a chance, but lately it's just been easier to label this movie as bad until proven not bad.

The cast (namely Chloe Moretz) does give me a little hope, but what's holding back my optimism here is based on what happened a few years ago with the remake of A Nightmare On Elm Street. The Elm Street remake (the original, like Carrie, is one of my favorite movies) with it's dark tone and seemingly serious direction looked kind of promising, plus with Jackie Earl Haley playing Freddy, I thought it might be good... only it was not, in fact it sucked. I'm just worried that the same thing will happen with Carrie.